
Veteran's day is a memorial day for me. A time for me to remember with love my grandfather - my Papa. He was my hero ever since I was a little girl. He served our country faithfully in the US Army - fighting in Vietnam and Korea. His army career moved his family to Alaska, Virginia and Indonesia.
And in the years before cancer took his life, he wore his veteran's hat with pride.
We would go to restaurants and people would salute him and he'd break out in a big smile. My heart would pound with pride.
My hero!
He died 2 years ago of cancer. I miss him terribly, but I will always remember him as my hero!
Who in your life is your hero? Do you know someone that was or is in the army?

8 comments:
This is such a sweet post! You can tell that he had a deep impact on your life and I think that is so awesome. As you said, you'll always remember him as your hero and that's a memory many would LOVE to have!
My sister and brother in law are both in the army. My bil just went to Irac last week for his 5th time! I think of both of them every day and pray for thier safty. They are my heros!
What a wonderful memorial to your Grandfather!
I have so many heroes. My dad was a Marine back in the day and is still my hero. Then, I have two very good Marine friends, one is in Afghanistan at the moment.
What a lovely story - I think I can see a his eyes twinkling in that picture! Thank you for sharing!
That is sweet :-)
My uncle has been in the army for years. His son (my cousin) is now in the army and is over in iraq since July. He has lost several guys in his company already :-(
Oh Annie! What a sweet picture of you and your Grandpa. I love your post. You know who my special Vetran is:) But I also have my dad, my father-in-law and grandfathers...it goes on and on. My Hubs comes from a family of men who served and served and served.
Great post! I'm sorry you lost your Papa. He sounds like he was a great man.
Annie,
My dad was a WWII vet (I was born when he was 52). He died of Alzhemier's a few years ago, so I too celebrate by remembering. He was also so very proud of his service.
My husband is also a vet of Operation Enduring Freedom and Noble Eagle. We did 2 years of deployments back to back. I say "we" b/c I was at home holding down the fort with 2 small children while he was serving. It truly is a joint effort.
Thank you for remembering!
Blessings,
Amy @ Raising Arrows
Post a Comment